Well by now, you know I am a fan of bacon and that I always consider how can I add bacon to dishes that I already like? I will be honest and admit that they usually turn out better then I had hoped or expected. This past weekend I decided to cook chili, well bacon chili that is and it turned out great. Here is how I did it:
Here is what you need to serve 6, the video below was for 80 people, that shows you how confident that I am that bacon will make any dish taste better.
• slices of Bacon Freak (Bourbon Street Cajun Bacon) chopped into small bits
• 1 can (14.5 oz.) of crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
• 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
• 1 can (14.5 oz.) pinto beans, drained
• 1 can (8 oz.) of black beans
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 1 large garlic clove, chopped
• 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
• At least 2 tablespoons of chili powder (season to taste)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cumin
• 1 1/2 teaspoons of paprika
• 3/4 teaspoons of cayenne pepper
• 1 tsp. salt
• 2 ounces of olive oil
• Sour cream, green onions and cheddar cheese for topping
Recently, I had lunch with the founder of Bacontoday.com. Of course we choose to eat at a place in which we could surely please our carnivore habit. We spent several hours together talking about how we could rule the world with our knowledge of bacon. In the end we decided that we were a couple of Bacon Freaks and we both share a passion for gourmet bacon.
I want to spend some time introducing him to you, so I asked Mr B. several questions. The first was Mr. B. what is Bacon Today all about and how did you get the idea? He told me that Bacon Today is a daily internet publication that strives to both entertain and educate people about bacon. “It’s quite amazing to see peoples’ reactions and hear their suggestions when you speak with them about bacon,” says Bacon Today spokesman Corey James. From bacon wallets to bacon cinnamon rolls, there seems to be an endless supply of bacon-related stories to read about on BaconToday.com.
A few weeks back, I spent a fun filled day in Morro Bay which is a beautiful beach town that is known for the famous rock that shoots up over 500 feet in the air. It is a spectacular rock that is a sanctuary to all kinds of birds and wildlife. It is certainly the most visible land mark on the coast line. On the drive back to Paso Robles, I wanted to stop by and visit one of the wineries that have been featured in the Coastal Vineyards Wine Club for over 5 years.